AGP Ep 17: Jen Bunk—Perfecting your ‘people stack’, all top performers have a coach
Jen Bunk is the Founder of People Stack Academy a leadership development consultancy for technology leaders. Her passion is organisational and leadership psychology and putting that into action to help new leaders grow.
What did you think?
Spread the love!
If you enjoyed the episode, you can help us by doing one or more of the following...
Subscribe via email
Give us feedback
Thank you for your honesty. How can we improve?
- Jen’s links
- GTD (Getting Things Done) by David Allen
- Turkish Getup exercise on YouTube
- Slack for distributed team communication
- Headspace app and Andy
- Reading for tech leaders
- Please subscribe, comment, share and review the episodes, it will make a big difference to our ability to continue with these. Thank you!
- Music by David Cutter
- Jen’s background in organizational leadership psychology
- The importance of tech leadership
- Challenges facing tech people moving into leadership
- On meditation to overcome distractions
- Engaging and motivating remote staff
- GTD methodology for personal productivity
- 0:26 What do you like about the field of organizational leadership psychology?
- 3:24 What was it about leadership that you fell in love with?
- 8:44 Why do you think technology leadership is so important?
- 11:15 What do you think the key challenges are that people come to you with who are new to leadership in the tech space?
- 14:45 What do you think the one biggest challenge that faces leaders in technology at the moment?
- 19:13 How do you deal with digital overwhelm?
- 40:00 What would you say your favorite achievement is?
- 42:11 How do you think about motivating and engaging staff and partners?
- 45:26 Tell us a bit more about your tools and routines that you created for developing yourself and your skills?
- 52:20 Are there any books or tips you recommend for technical leaders?
- 10:17 “The number one thing tech leaders tell me is: I don’t need help with technical stuff. I need help with people stuff”—Jen Bunk
- 12:10 “Leaders and managers tell me ‘I want to be a better communicator’”—Jen Bunk
- 15:55 “The challenge today isn’t just how do we get staff with tech and people skills in the door, but how do we keep them?”—Jen Bunk
- 18:52 “To avoid getting distracted, I focus on who I am trying to serve and what I can do to help them”—Jen Bunk
- 31:00 “As I started my own business, not only did I have to be supportive of my team, just as in academia, but also I had to be equally supporting the sustainability of the business”—Jen Bunk
- 32:05 “If there is anything that’s anti-marketing, it’s academia”—Jen Bunk
- 35:24 “As an entrepreneur is to is to make sure your partner is a 1000% supportive of you”—Jen Bunk
- 44:50 “When leading virtual teams, the most important thing is to check in, even if you don’t think you need to”—Jen Bunk