AGP Ep 30: Karin Geraghty—Shifting the gravity from tech skills to people skills
Karin Geraghty is the Chief ICT and Digital Strategist for Department of Premier and Cabinet in South Australia. She has led many successful large-scale transformations in South Australia and shares a lot of wonderful insights about how to be a leader in that environment.
What did you think?
Spread the love!
If you enjoyed the episode, you can help us by doing one or more of the following...
Subscribe via email
Give us feedback
Thank you for your honesty. How can we improve?
- Karin’s links
- Blinkist—For Micro-readers like Karin and Andrew
- The Reflective Practitioner—Book about ‘reflection in action’ and ‘reflection on action’
- Switch: How to change things when change is hard
- Don’t think of an elephant—Book on how language can frame and lead people
- Best Practice Podcast—With Richard Aedy around working relationships
- Take #100in100 Challenge—100 posts over 100 days while raising money for a great cause.
- Music by David Cutter
- “Follow your interests and curiosity”. – Karin Geraghty
- “Create your own derivative”. – Karin Geraghty
- “Make something that everyone can be proud of”. – Karin Geraghty
- “Put aside the silos and work together to make something happen”. – Andrew Ramsden
- “A journey isn’t always smooth-sailing but you learn from the more ‘hairier’ experiences”. – Karin Geraghty
- “To succeed, one needs to be authentic”. – Karin Geraghty
- “Diversity is essential to be able to see your own blind spots”. – Andrew Ramsden
- “Productivity is measured by creativity”. – Karin Geraghty
- “Think about what you are doing while you are doing it”. – Karin Geraghty
- “Life is like a layout of a page, you have an infinite number of ways to transform it”. – Karin Geraghty
- “A good leader knows how to take a step back and reflect”. – Karin Geraghty
- “Think going forward by looking backwards”. – Karin Geraghty
- “Be a person first, and a job title second”. – Karin Geraghty
- “A good leader comprehends they don’t have to know everything”. – Karin Geraghty
- “Always have the confidence to ask questions, it is never a sign of weakness”. – Karin Geraghty
- “Have the courage to admit this is not my strength, can you help me?” – Karin Geraghty
- “Understanding your motivations is knowing what you are and what are you willing to compromise”. – Karin Geraghty
- “Leadership is the influence to change the way you see the world”. – Karin Geraghty
- “Disruption is what happens when you are not looking”. – Karin Geraghty
- “The greatest reward of a good leadership is seeing people come up to their potential”. – Karin Geraghty
- “Your greatest potential stretches beyond what you are comfortable with”. – Karin Geraghty
- “A leader will never succeed without their people”. – Karin Geraghty
- “The best leaders work with their people”. – Karin Geraghty